Earthship Biotecture Disaster Relief earthship.com/disaster-relief
All housing becomes permanent regardless. People live in it until it falls apart even if it was meant to be temporary.
The Haiti Earthship Project is a permanent, sustainable structure that takes care of the people (clean water, sanitary sewage treatment) and requires very few skills which are easy to acquire. The local people can replicate these buildings and systems.
We do not want people to become dependant on products that we make or any country makes. We want people to be empowered by the ability to create sustenance for themselves, and in doing so, create employment, jobs and a mini-economy. An entire method that is independent of corporations, largely independent of oil and independent of politics.
Its Putting Housing Back into the Hands of the People.
We are bringing the people some technology and demonstrating it. We are bringing a method of living that has taken us over 40 years to develop. We have a few communities using it. We are doing buildings all over the world using this method. We are taking this method of living to Haiti to demonstrate and evolve it toward and with the Haitian people on the level at which Haiti needs it, not taking "developed" world housing and trying to make it work in Haiti.
The key here is that we are
Donate money for this cause now:
Haiti Eco Living Project - H.E.L.P.
After we finish up our prototype demonstration Earthship at the Grassroots compound in late January, 2011, we are taking what we learned from that and what we have absorbed from our time spent with the Haitian people and attempting to move forward with project H.E.L.P. - Haiti Eco Living Project. Groups of Earthships the Haitian people can build themselves that are absolutely sustainable. These Earthships are built using materials found in and around Port-Au-Prince.
Each Earthship for Haiti houses 32 people in eight groups of four people each with eight flush toilets. This provides quick and strong housing with sanitary and healthy systems. Food production and food preparation are designed in with solar ovens. A small solar powered electrical unit powers cell phones, laptops, lights, etc.
These Earthships that house 32 people can be grouped together in many different configurations to provide housing for 256 people in a 240 foot diameter. Group more Earthships and we can house 2,048 people and group even more to house 18,432 people. All sustainable, all within the principles of Earthship Biotecture.
2010 Haiti Earthship Project
Thanks to everyone who helped provide information, connections, advice and donations for the Earthship Biotecture recon visit to Haiti. As it turned out it was much more than a recon visit... we built a building with the help of 40 Haitians from the tent camps - ages 4 to 50.
- We fed them lunch each day for four days and they helped and learned how to build this earthquake resistant and hurricane resistant building made from garbage all sourced within a mile from the build site.
- We went back to add systems to this building, again with their help.
- We managed to get into the heart of the Haitian people who are living in the tent camps.
- We found out what they need and we found out that we can help them provide it for themselves.
- We raised only $7,000 for this trip and it was all used for travel expenses, local accommodations, food, shots, feeding the Haitian build crew and buying materials.
- There were no wages or pay of any kind for the Earthship team - they went for free.